Welcome to the Mini-Course on metabolic health!
Metabolic health is defined by having elevated blood sugar, blood pressure, waist-to-hip ratio, cholesterol, and triglycerides all within a healthy range. From a more functional perspective, I would add reducing inflammation, hormones balance, stress management, and optimizing gut function also play an important role.
Metabolic syndrome is defined by having 3 out of the following 5 metrics out of range:
- Increase waist circumference
- Elevated fasting blood sugar
- Elevated TG >150*
- Low HDL*
The functional medicine approach will use various tools to help optimize these levels, including:
- Optimizing diet & nutrient absorption
- Reducing environmental triggers like pesticides, hormone-disrupting toxicants, and heavy metals
- Supporting immune balance to reduce inflammation
- Leveraging nutraceuticals (nutritional supplements & herbs) to support metabolism
This blueprint can be used as a guide and starting place to get you started. The modules will cover 3 topic categories:
- Therapeutic foods and cooking techniques
- Nutraceuticals to target key mechanisms
- Lifestyle modification tips
Remember that you can do this. Once you master these steps, you’re ready for level 2 (if you’re looking for more)!